Who this site is for:
This site is a resource for students, staff, faculty, alumni, parents and others interested in learning about hazing within student groups at SUNY Geneseo.
What you should know:
- - Hazing is a violation of SUNY Geneseo policy and New York State law.
- - Hazing takes various forms, but typically involves physical risks or mental distress through, for example, humiliating, intimidating, or demeaning treatment.
- - Hazing can cause significant harm to individuals, groups and the College.
- - Hazing has occurred in fraternities, sororities, athletic teams, performance groups, and other organizations.
- - Groups that haze often view it as positive and necessary.
- - Groups that haze can achieve the positive outcomes they seek from hazing through non-hazing means.