The Research Foundation of SUNY has contracted with RefWorks/COS to provide publicly accessible expertise profiles for all SUNY faculty members through the Scholar Universe database.
All full-time Geneseo faculty members should currently have profiles. The contents of profiles were derived from information available on departmental websites and from publicly-accessible databases.
Faculty members may request a login and modifications to certain items in their profile. Instructions for accessing your profile and requesting changes are below
1. go to the Geneseo portal link: http://www.scholaruniverse.com/public/43887/search
2. click on "name" and search for your last name
Scholar Universe profiles contain name and contact information, title, degrees, current and prior affiliations, links to faculty web pages and CVs (as available), a brief expertise description, and publications list. Publications on the formal Scholar Universe profile list are drawn from the PubMed, CSA, ProQuest, ERIC and Agricola citation databases. Publications are updated in an on-going iterative matching process. All profile information is searchable by keyword.
To request a Scholar Universe login:
1. Click the ‘Edit this Profile' link on your Scholar Universe profile page. This will direct you to the Scholar Universe login page.
2. Click the Register button.
3. After clicking the Register button, you will be prompted to submit some basic information to help us ensure that you don't already have a registered account.
4. After you submit the information, you will need to confirm whether or not you still have access to the email address on your profile.
5. If you confirm that you have access to the email on your profile, you will receive an email to that address with a link to create your username and password.
6. If you do not have access to the email on your profile, you will have to submit some additional information that includes a current email address.
7. After submitting the additional information, the Scholar Universe editorial team will verify your information and add your current email address to your profile. You will receive an email with a link to create your username and password.
1. Please review your profile and note any errors or missing information.
2. Please note that only publications that have been definitively identified as yours and that are also in the databases mentioned above are included in the publications list in your profile (more details on publications below).
3. Requests for changes or updates are made through a "Scholar Feedback" feature and must be reviewed by COS staff, who will then manually enter the new information.
4. To access the Scholar Feedback feature, click the "Edit This Profile" button on your Scholar Universe profile page. If you are not already logged in, you will be required to enter your username and password.
5. The Scholar Feedback feature currently allows you to submit edit requests for the following fields:
• Email addresses (both current and past)
• Affiliations (both past and present)
• Other (this is an open text box that allows you to provide additional feedback that you cannot submit through the above fields, such as research interests)
6. In order for the Scholar Universe system to find more of your publications, their staff suggests the following:
• Enter your prior institutional affiliations (particularly those at which you had publications)
• Enter prior email addresses
• Provide a webpage address which has your publications list and/or a link to your CV
Scholar Universe uses a matching algorithm for publications. A name match alone is not sufficient to link a publication to your profile, so providing additional information will increase the number of publications that can be definitively identified as yours.
7. In the Scholar Feedback feature, click on the appropriate tab (names, email addresses, etc), type in the information, then click "add."
8. Use the top box on the "Other Information" tab to note specific requests to remove/change items, and to provide a brief description of your research interests and expertise.
9. As you add information, a "Submit Changes for Review" button will appear in the upper right corner of the screen.
10. When you have filled out all necessary fields, click the "Submit Changes for Review" button. You'll be directed to a confirmation page.
11. There is an approximate two week turnaround time for the changes/updates you submitted to be viewable on your profile.
With over 2 million entries, Scholar Universe is the largest available collection of searchable profiles covering active full-time faculty. Generally, access to Scholar Universe is by subscription only. However the Research Foundation of SUNY was able to negotiate with COS to allow all SUNY faculty profiles to be made publicly available. This will be accomplished via both individual campus portals, and via a SUNY-wide portal. Thus anyone will be able to search for Geneseo expertise (via our campus portal) or for SUNY-wide expertise (through the SUNY Central portal).
Please note that the link to the SUNY Geneseo Scholar Universe portal http://www.scholaruniverse.com/public/43887/search will be available on several pages on our web site. This specific portal is accessible by the public, and will only link to our faculty expertise profiles.
The SUNY-wide faculty portal http://www.scholaruniverse.com/public/61633/search will also be available on the SUNY central and Research Foundation of SUNY web sites.
If you are interested in looking for collaborators or experts world-wide, the main Scholar Universe Portal is also available free of charge. This database contains more than 2 million profiles and is accessible from on-campus locations (without login), and from off campus by login: http://www.scholaruniverse.com
If you have questions, please contact Anne Baldwin, baldwinA@geneseo.edu