In case of an emergency

Sometimes, when hosting or attending a party, emergencies arise.

Alcohol poisoning (overdose) is a medical emergency. Call 911 (on campus, call 245-5222).

If you see someone with symptoms of alcohol overdose...

check Seek emergency medical treatment. Do not leave the person alone. If the person is unconscious, place him/her on his/her side.

check Stay on the phone until instructed to hang up.

check Remain calm

check Provide as much information as possible, including:

    • Location of the emergency.

    • Nature and cause of the medical emergency/situation.

    • Medical observations: is the person conscious? Breathing? Other observations?

    • Phone number from which you are calling.

    • Other hazards that may be present.

Learn more about handling emergencies.

Worried about getting "in trouble"?

Students under the legal drinking age (21) who seek medical assistance for themselves or their fellow students who are in distress may be exempt from student conduct sanctions for the possession and consumption of alcohol. View the Responsible Community Action Policy (.pdf).

In addition, New York State’s  “911 Good Samaritan” law encourages a witness or victim of a drug or alcohol-related overdose to seek medical attention without fear of prosecution by state or local courts. For details, see the “Laws” section of this website.