Welcome to the SUNY Geneseo Office of Career Development, Division of Student and Campus Life! Here you'll find resources for job searching, resume and cover letter writing, interviewing, graduate school planning, career self-assessment (FOCUS, the Strong Interest Inventory, and the MBTI), What Can I Do With This Major?, the placement file process, on-campus recruiting, and much more!
- To schedule an appointment with a Career Development counselor, call 245-5721 or stop by our office in Blake A104.
- OFFICE HOURS: Summer hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:00pm beginning May 29, 2012.
- DROP-IN HOURS: There are no drop-in hours during the summer. They will resume again in the fall.
EMPLOYERS CLICK HERE TO POST JOBS
What Can I Do With This Major?
Career Assessments - FOCUS & Strong Interest Inventory
Graduate School Planning
Graduate School Guide
Geneseo Career Partners
RESUME AND COVER LETTER SAMPLES
For Business majors
For Liberal Arts & Sciences majors
For Education majors
Registration and dates for Teacher Certification Exams including LAST, CST, ATS-W, etc:
Need to prepare a resume? Check out the short video clip "What NOT to do on Your Resume."
Need assistance preparing for an interview? Watch the quick "Interview Tips & Tricks" video.
Applying to grad school? Check out the "Graduate School Application Process" video.
View our informative video about Social Media and Your Job Search.
For more tips on resume writing, interviewing, and other career exploration-related topics, see: Job Search Videos
Looking for information about graduate schools or employers? Our Career Library has over 300 resources available for viewing in our comfortable library. To view many of the books that are available, go to http://library.geneseo.edu and search GLOCAT by clicking on "Call Number Begins With", and then typing "Career Library." You will see 295 of the items that are available in Blake A 104. You can even "Search Within Results" using keywords. If you don't see what you're looking for, email Kerrie Bondi at email@example.com!
CURRENT PLACEMENT FILE HOLDERS
As of June 28, 2012, Geneseo's Office of Career Development transferred the placement files of all current students and May 2012 graduates to Interfolio (www.interfolio.com), a premier online credentialing file service, where individual accounts have been created for each file holder. You should have received an email on June 12 from the Office of Career Development notifying you about this transition. If you did not, please contact the Office of Career Development at 585-245-5721 for more information.
ALUMNI FILE HOLDERS:
All alumni placement file holders who graduated prior to May 2012 will continue to have access to their files through the Office of Career Development until December 31, 2012. After that date, we will no longer process any requests for placement files still in our possession. Alumni file holders have numerous options from which to choose regarding the future of their placement file after December 31, including:
1. Establish a credentials account with Interfolio (http://www.interfolio.com) at a special Geneseo rate of $19 for 18 months (normally $19 for 12 months).
2. Contract with another university’s credentialing service.
3. Establish a credentialing account with another private service.
4. Authorize the Office of Career Development to destroy the contents of your
If you choose to establish an account with Interfolio, follow these simple steps:
- Download Interfolio's File Transfer Form: www.interfolio.com/faq/documents/transfer_form.pdf
- Create an Interfolio dossier account.
- Fill out the form using the information from your account and submit it to the Office of Career Development, and we will forward your file to Interfolio.
You will also receive instructions about placement file options via email from Geneseo's Office of Alumni Relations in mid-July.
POTENTIAL PLACEMENT FILE HOLDERS:Any individual who wishes to open a placement file in the future (after June 28, 2012) should do one of the following: contact Interfolio directly at www.interfolio.com to set up an account; establish an account with another private credentials file service; or open an account at a different college or university. Please contact the Office of Career Development with any questions at 585-245-5721. Thank you!
For the Career Development workshop schedule, check the GOLD website under the "Emerald Career & Employee Development Leadership Certificate" section . You do not have to be working toward a certificate to register.