FOCUS is a self-paced online career and education planning tool for use by Geneseo students and alumni. It will enable you to self-assess your career relevant personal qualities and explore career fields and major areas of study that are most compatible with your assessment results. Students who use FOCUS make better decisions about their goals and plans and learn how to self-manage their careers.
Why use FOCUS?
Career planning with FOCUS offers the following advantages for students:
- More goal focused and motivated
- Higher academic achievement
- Fewer transfers and switching of majors
- Graduate on time
- Better entry-level job with higher income
- More satisfying and productive career
- Less career change and greater achievement
- Click on FOCUS and enter the following Access Code: knights
- Select "If you need to create a new account, click here."
- Enter the following Access Code: knights
Enter your personal information, being sure to select a user name and password that you will remember easily.
To log in to your FOCUS account at a later time, you do not need to create another account. Your original account remains active and will store all your results each time you use it.
- Click on FOCUS
- Enter your user name and password (do not create a new account)
The system is cAsE SeNsITIvE! if you capitalize your password when you are registering, you will need to always capitalize your password when you login.
From the FOCUS main menu, FOCUS will guide you through the career planning process and save all of your results. You may use FOCUS as often as you wish (24/7) on any PC or MAC. You can use the FOCUS Main Menu tools in any order and repeat any assessment. Once you have completed an assessment, a check mark will appear next to that assessment on the Main Menu.
- You must complete an entire assessment for FOCUS to save your results
- Use the buttons within the FOCUS program; do not use the BACK browser button
STRONG INTEREST INVENTORY
The Strong Interest Inventory® assessment provides research-validated insights to help you in your search for a rich, fulfilling career. The Strong empowers you to discover your interests so you can better identify, understand, and expand your career options.
The Strong generates an in-depth assessment of your interests among a broad range of occupations, work, and leisure activities, and educational subjects. To reveal your interest patterns, it presents results on a variety of complementary themes and scales:
- General Occupational Themes map out broad interest patterns to describe personalities and preferred work environments.
- Basic Interest Scales provide more specific information about your areas of interest.
- Occupational Scales relate your interest patterns to those of satisfied workers within the occupation.
- Personal Style Scales describe your preferred style of working, learning, leading, risk-taking, and team participation.
This is a free assessment for Geneseo students and alumni.
Please call 585-245-5721 or stop by Erwin 116 to make an appointment to see a counselor and decide if this is the right test for you.