Internships provide an opportunity for students to link theory with practice in real-world experiences. They enable a student to develop important skills which cannot be taught in the classroom. These experiences vary from working on special projects for the interning agency to learning about the human motivation process in an organization. They also teach what is expected in terms of professional experience.
- An opportunity to gain new skills and perspectives
- Deeper understanding of your personal strengths and career goals
- The chance to expand your academic knowledge within your field of study
- Exposure to new cultures, new environments and new ideas
- The opportunity to expand your professional network
An internship is the first step in your professional career. It can also be an interview for your first job. Successfully completing your internship can lead to a job offer upon graduation.
Types of internships
Internships can be for academic credit or not for academic credit.
Internships can be paid or unpaid.
- A paid internship would be best for the student.
- Non-paid internships provide opportunities for students to develop their skills in professional situations.
These are not mutually exclusive - and they do not depend on how you find your internship!
For more information on the School of Business Internship process, please click here.
Recent internship placements
Fall 2014 Placements
SUNY Geneseo Department of Career Development
NYS Division of Human Rights
SUNY Geneseo Department of Student Life
AXA Advisors, LLC
Premium Mortgage Corporation
Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
Geneseo Outreach Center
Quality Recruiting & QR Services
SUNY Geneseo Scheduling and Events
Flaherty Salmin CPAs
SUNY Geneseo College Advancement
Institute of Internal Auditors-Rochester Chapter
Wyoming County Community Health System
Young Entrepreneurs Academy
For information on recent Internship sponsors, please click here.